CP 1, 2, and 3 Site

This stone marks the burial place of two historic nuclear reactors -- CP-2 and CP-3. The world's first nuclear reactor, CP-1, built under the West Stands of the University of Chicago's Stagg Field, was rebuilt at this site in the Palos Hills Forest Preserve and was designated CP-2. The first heavy water moderated reactor, CP-3, also was developed at this site. In 1956, Argonne National Laboratory released the Palos Hills site; the uranium, graphite, and heavy water were removed from the two reactors; and the remaining shells were buried., Credit Line: Argonne National Laboratory, courtesy AIP Emilio Segrè Visual Archives
Abstract/Description: This stone marks the burial place of two historic nuclear reactors -- CP-2 and CP-3. The world's first nuclear reactor, CP-1, built under the West Stands of the University of Chicago's Stagg Field, was rebuilt at this site in the Palos Hills Forest Preserve and was designated CP-2. The first heavy water moderated reactor, CP-3, also was developed at this site. In 1956, Argonne National Laboratory released the Palos Hills site; the uranium, graphite, and heavy water were removed from the two reactors; and the remaining shells were buried.
Subject(s): College campuses
Nuclear reactors
Laboratories
Portraits, Group
Chicago (Ill.)
Credit Line: Argonne National Laboratory, courtesy AIP Emilio Segrè Visual Archives
Catalog ID: University of Chicago E9a